Heritage & History
Inverclyde Council’s head office, the imposing Municipal Building along with the Town Hall stands in Clyde Square in Greenock. They were built originally in 1880’s but have undergone additions and updates well into the 21st century.
Designed by the Glasgow architects H & D Barclay who in the 1870’s won an architectural competition to design the Municipal Buildings with its ornate sculptures and landmark tower. Raising above the buildings is the 75 meter high Victoria Tower, which exceeds the tower of the Glasgow City Chambers building, allegedly in bid of one-upmanship over the city.
The building housed the court, fire service and police service for the town and surrounding areas.
The intricate plasterwork on the Grand Corridor ceiling, the restored Council Chambers and the District Court are all well worth seeing. It is a Category ‘A’ listed building.
The Municipal Buildings wrap around Greenock Town Hall which sits in the centre of these buildings. The Town Hall is ornately decorated inside and out and has Peterhead granite used for its many pillars. It recently had the floor replaced with Canadian Maple at the cost £125,000.
During the tourist season the Inverclyde Tourist Group organise complimentary walking tours through the building. http://www.inverclydetouristgroup.co.uk